The Institutional TOEFL
- UCI offers the Institutional Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) once during each 4-week program, on an afternoon near the end of the program when no electives meet. (The 10-Week Intensive ESL program also offers a separate TOEFL test for 10-week students.)
- Check the Calendars & Schedules page for upcoming TOEFL test dates.
- This is the Paper-Based TOEFL (PBT), a paper-and-pencil test, with listening, grammar, and reading sections only. There is no speaking or writing section. (This is not the iBT TOEFL, and cannot be used for admission to most colleges and universities.)
- Teachers will hand out a reminder note with information about the test location about a week before the test.
- The test is optional—it is not required. If you want to take it, you may register during your morning class. Your teacher will give you a form to fill out.
- All 4-Week students can take the test (full-time or part-time, Conversation & Culture or Business English).
- The test is free.
- TOEFL scores will be ready 2-3 weeks after the test date. You may pick up your score report in the ESL Office, or we will mail it to you. We are not able to send scores by email.
- If you'd like a copy of the Registration Booklet with information about the test and sample questions to help you prepare for the test, ask for one in the ESL Office. You can also download one from the ETS website: http://www.ets.org/toefl/pbt/about/bulletin/.